Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add support for parallel HTTP transfers

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:56:39 -0700

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 05:51:53PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Well, I'd suggest just to hardcode a reasonable value to be a
> good net citizen, and not make it configurable.  Four, perhaps?
> 
> OTOH, we may want to have an option to disable parallel from the
> command line (I think -r 1 would mean that with yours).

I'd prefer to keep it configurable - for our purposes we'll be hitting
a single server from several clients and will probably want to limit
concurrent connections to something like two per client, but when doing
a fetch from a big server farm more connections would make sense.

> If we really want to have the number of parallel configurable,
> and -r implies recursive as you say, maybe '-j' to mimic
> parallel make?

Not that I'm a huge fan of using environment variables, but it might make
sense to use one here.  That would allow the setting to work whether
git-http-fetch is run directly or via git-fetch.  GIT_HTTP_MAX_REQUESTS?

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.