Subject: Re: git-rev-list: add "--dense" flag

From: Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:07:07 +0200

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote Fri, Oct 21, 2005:
> To see this in action, try something like
> 
> 	gitk --dense -- gitk
> 
> to see just the history that affects gitk.

Is the initial commit supposed to be listed when the file has been added
later? I would expect it to only list until (and including) the commit
where the file was introduced.

	prompt > git-rev-list --dense HEAD -- compat/mmap.c
	f48000fcbe1009c18f1cc46e56cde2cb632071fa
	730d48a2ef88a7fb7aa4409d40b1e6964a93267f
	e83c5163316f89bfbde7d9ab23ca2e25604af290
	prompt > git-cat-file commit e83c
	tree 2b5bfdf7798569e0b59b16eb9602d5fa572d6038
	author Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> 1112911993 -0700
	committer Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> 1112911993 -0700

	Initial revision of "git", the information manager from hell

Interestingly, for the special gitk, the correct commit is the last rev
listed.

-- 
Jonas Fonseca