Subject: Re: git versus CVS (versus bk)

From: Joel Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:30:03 -0800

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:28:30AM +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> You can do a diff that spans all the commits and apply it with a new
> commit msg. With cogito:
> 
>    cg-diff -r from:to | patch -p1

	I'm well aware of this, my question was rather one of
applicability.  First, do we want it to work this way, losing the
history.  Second, you'd like the process to be all encompasing if you go
this route.

    ((cd old-repo && cg-diff -r from) | patch -p1) && cg-commit

or any equivalent.  Why should I have to muck with patch and diff, when
I can have a 'pull-as-one' operation.  Sure, it's a wrapper, but if its
the intended mode of development, let's make it a first-class citizen.

Joel

-- 

Life's Little Instruction Book #157 

	"Take time to smell the roses."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (650) 506-8127