Subject: Re: git versus CVS (versus bk)

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:25:54 -0500

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 02:42:46PM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> 	As the tools currently stand, I need to hand-diff and patch my
> commits.  Neither git nor cogito have a command to do this first-class
> "the way you should do it" common operation.  It is, in my experience, a
> pain.  Not as large a pain as some things, but certainly second class to
> much of the workflow git/cogito provide.  If it is supposed to be a
> regular part of my workflow, what's wrong with making it a first-class
> operation?

For an example of how to make it a first-class operation, it might be
worthwhile to look at Chris Mason's "Mercurial Queues" extention to
Mercurial:

	http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MqExtension

I've used it once or twice, and hg mq is definitely very nice and
convenient, and it makes commits a first-class operation.  On the
other hand, I've found that the combination of quilt and
Mercurial/BK/git works just fine, even for my own internal development
of (for example) the e2fsprogs tree.

						- Ted