Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9g

From: Jim Radford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:54:23 -0800

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:14:29AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>    I think archimport part needs to be split out just like its
>    svn/cvs cousins,

I don't agree.  The chance of running git-archimport and not having
arch installed is significantly less likely than the chance of not
noticing that the git-archimport program exists because it was moved
into a separate package that you didn't know you needed to install in
the first place.

The main reason I see for splitting cvs and email import out is the
non-standard dependencies, cvsps and perl(Email::Valid).  While for
svn import it's to keep from requiring subversion-perl of everone who
installs git-core.  This dependency is added automatically, so you
cannot easily just ignore it like you can in the arch/tla case.

> and perhaps documentation into another separate package.

There is no need for a separate documentation RPM, since the
documentation is marked as such and rpm has a standard way to avoid
installing them (--excludedocs).

-Jim