Subject: Re: Why not clone to a remote directory over SSH

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:04:09 -0800

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:45:18AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> BTW, is it possible to convince git-http-push to store packs on the 
> server?

Certainly, I'm not sure what conditions make sense for using packs
though.

When pushing changes to the server, there's an advantage to using loose
objects in that there is no way to resume a failed transfer.  So if the
network barfs 99% of the way through, you'll be much less annoyed if
you need to retransmit the one object rather than a whole pack.

The same problem exists if you decide to pack loose objects on the
server since the pack would have to be generated locally and then sent
to the server.  At least in this case, other remote clients would still
be able to fetch loose objects while packs were in transit.

> For that matter, is it possible to generate the file(s) needed for a dumb
> server on the client side?

Which files are those?  I've been working on a way to update info/refs
and eventually objects/info/packs.

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.