Subject: Re: Why not clone to a remote directory over SSH

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:26:40 -0800

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:36:58AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > > For that matter, is it possible to generate the file(s) needed for a dumb
> > > server on the client side?
> > 
> > Which files are those?  I've been working on a way to update info/refs
> > and eventually objects/info/packs.
> 
> These I meant.

Yes - it should be straightforward to generate those files on the client
side.  A PROPFIND request for the remote directory with Depth: 1 will
return a list of files in the directory, so refs and objects/packs can
be crawled to generate the contents of the server info files.  That's
assuming that packs and tags are being pushed of course.

Come to think of it, PROPFIND is probably a more efficient way to check
for the existence of an object in the remote repo as well.  That would
make it feasible to remove the --complete option and always verify the
full history.

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.