Subject: Re: merging initial part of a branch?

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:13:11 -0500

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 01:59:32AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> writes:
> >>$ git format-patch -m -k v2.6.14..v2.6.15 --stdout > mega-mbox-patch
> >>$ git checkout our-own-branch
> >>$ git am -3 -k mega-mbox-patch
> >>
> >>That'll take some time though, so be sure to have a six-pack or two handy.
> >
> >
> >I do not think that should be done.  You will create an
> >alternate history that way, not the true v2.6.15 history.
> >
> 
> I took their request to mean that they already have patches of their own 
> in that, so they'll never have v2.6.15 vanilla history anyway.

If I have some local changes, and do a git pull linus tag v2.6.15, I
find that the final commit in the result is a merge commit whose first
parent refers to my last commit, and whose second commit points to
Linus's v2.6.15 commit from the "vanilla history".  Which is what I
think you really need for a history that makes sense and that can be
used by future merges.

--b.