Subject: Re: StGIT: "stg new" vs "stg new --force"

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:54:43 -0500

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:30:23AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 13:22 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > I tend to use stg refresh -es as a quick (well, not quite as quick as
> > I'd like) way to look at the current patch.  Often I leave it up while
> > I'm working (editing the patched files).  So if exiting from stg refresh
> > -es suddenly started overwriting my working files, I'd be very
> > unhappy....
> 
> If I understand correctly, "stg refresh" only modifies the repository,
> not the files in the local directory.

Well, yeah, but the reason that makes sense is that it's modifying the
repository to bring it up to date with the working directory.

> This shouldn't change.

So after you hand-edit the diff and exit "stg refresh -es", the top of
the current patch will no longer agree with the state of the working
directory.  What are you going to do on the next refresh?  Or on the
next push or pop?  This seems a little confusing.

--b.