Subject: Re: [Census] So who uses git?

From: Dave Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:37:31 -0500

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:08:54PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
 > Can I hear experiences from other big projects that tried to use
 > git [*1*]?  I suspect there are many that have tried, and I
 > would not be surprised at all if git did not work out well for
 > them.  For projects that already run on a (free) SCM, I would be
 > very surprised if the developers find the current git 10 times
 > better than the SCM they have been using (probably with an
 > exception of CVS), unless they have very specific need, such as
 > parallel development of distributed nature like the Linux
 > kernel.

I've found switching from cvs->git even for small projects has
made me more productive.  In part because it's got me away from
the 'check in to a centralised server like sourceforge' mentality,
without the need to set up a local cvs server of my own.
Adding changesets to a small project like x86info, now takes
seconds, whereas it used to take minutes of thumb-twiddling whilst
I waited for sf.net to do its thing.   The ability to check in
changesets locally whilst I'm travelling, and then push them when
I have network connectivity again is also a massive productivity
win over cvs.

There's also another git usage that I doubt I'm alone in doing.
I regularly use git to import cvs trees from sourceforge etc for
random projects, because I now find browsing history of projects
with tools like gitk much nicer than any cvs tool I've used.
(cvs annotate is the only thing I really miss).

What would be really cool, would be a web page pointing to public
conversions of various projects cvs trees, so that everyone doesn't
have to keep hammering various repos to do the conversions themselves.
(Sort of a pseudo bkbits.net).

		Dave