Subject: Re: [Census] So who uses git?

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:56:22 -0500

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:41:59PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> On the tutorial front, maybe we could start teaching people to
> always use "commit -a", and not tell them about update-index nor
> "commit paths.." at all.  Have them do "hello world", review
> changes since the last commit with "git diff", and make commit
> with "git commit -a".  Next tell them about index, and after
> they understand index, finally tell them "commit paths..."  is
> there merely to reduce typing.

Yeah, I think that's approximately what you get right now if you read
tutorial.txt followed by core-tutorial.txt, though the two currently may
not really work together well as sequels.

So I'm inclined to start by revising the two to make them read well as
sequels, then maybe moving some of core-tutorial.txt into the earlier
tutorial.txt.  By the time we're done the two might end up being one
document.  Or they might still be two, but with the split being more
clearly beginning/advanced instead of high-level/low-level.

Feedback from people who'd actually worked through the two would
obviously be useful.

--b.