Subject: Re: [Census] So who uses git?

From: Joel Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:55:14 -0800

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:21:52AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Now, I do agree. I don't actually like hiding the index too much. 
> Understanding the index is _invaluable_ whenever you're doing a merge with 
> conflicts, and understanding what tools are available to you to resolve 
> those conflicts.

	This is precisely the experience I've had explaining GIT to
folks moving to it.  The simplest workflow (clone; hack one file, commit
one file) is so similar to CVS/Subversion/Anything that it's immediately
understood.  But when pull, push, merge, and any non-linear history are
discussed, I have to describe the index and the commit/tree layout.
Once I do, they get it.

> So I'm actually of the "revel in the index" camp (as could probably be 
> guessed by the original tutorial).

	I'm going to second this, from a real-world "explain it to
others" standpoint.

Joel

-- 

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest
 people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
        - Robert Orben

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (650) 506-8127