Subject: Re: [Census] So who uses git?

From: Joel Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:00:55 -0800

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:27:17PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>  - "git commit fileA..." means: create a temporary index from the
>    current HEAD commit (or empty index if there is none), update
>    it at listed paths (add/remove if necessary) and commit the

	Please don't do the add/remove automatically.  I know, it's
pretty convenient if I explicitly say "git commit filetoadd", but what
happens if I say "git commit libfoo/*"?  I know that I want all my
changes in libfoo/ to be commited, ignoring my changes in libbar/.  But
I forgot that I created libfoo/testfoo.c to debug my changes, and now
it's in the repository -- and I might not even notice it for weeks.
	CVS and Subversion require an explicit "add" for this very
reason.  Even then, almost everyone gets an "import" or two wrong,
pulling in a couple built files (eg, "configure") they didn't mean to
get.
	I guess you could query the user.  "I noticed that you specified
filetoadd, and you never said 'git add'.  Do you want to add it now
[Y/n]?"

Joel

-- 

"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I
 only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if
 the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
         - Buckminster Fuller

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (650) 506-8127