Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] http-fetch: Abort requests for objects which arrived in packs

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:11:24 -0800

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 05:23:21PM +0000, Mark Wooding wrote:

> I'm by no means a Curl expert.  But I scoured the docs for another way
> of interrupting the current fetch and I couldn't find anything.  It
> really didn't seem like a good idea to leave the handle as it was,
> having (possibly) half-fetched a thing we weren't actually interested in
> -- that way lies confusion.

My impression from the curl documentation was that removing the curl
handle from the multi session was enough, but the documentation doesn't
describe what happens to such a request.

> Besides, in practice, what's happened is that the object we asked for is
> in a pack which we've just collected.  Unless the upstream repository
> hasn't been git-prune-packed, our fetch is going to fail with a 404
> anyway, at which point Curl /will/ close the connection and make another
> one next time.  So, in real life, it makes no difference.

Good point, and it does seem safer to fully clean up the connection
rather than leave it in a questionable state.

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.