Subject: Re: Tracking and committing back to Subversion?

From: Brian Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:50:54 -0800

On Monday 06 February 2006 15:23, Sam Vilain wrote:
> >>Has anyone done any work on bidirectional access to SVN repositories?
> >>ie, tracking and committing.
> >
>> [snip]
>
> Indeed, mirroring SVN repositories via SVN::Mirror (which is used by
> SVK) can take hours for large projects with thousands of commits.
>

Actually, I wasn't so much talking about the time required as the fact that
git-svnimport expects a very specific directory format, and KDE, since it was
migrated from CVS doesn't follow it, not to mention, I'm writing my tools
for the purpose of tracking single projects (i.e. Kopete which is part of KDE 
project).

>> [snip]
>
> Right; I was looking for an approach that did not require working copies
> of the remote subversion repository to be kept locally.  Still, perhaps
> that approach has merit, though I would probably start in Perl and use
> SVK::Simple (see CPAN) to give a richer SVN mirroring API.
>

While that is an admirable goal, unless you can point me to something that
will allow you to actually commit back to SVN without a working copy, it 
defeats the purpose of my tools which is basically to use to git for the 
purpose of holding intermediate development before sending it into SVN as a 
final commit. That, and being able to use git tools which speak to me on a 
level far greater than SVN tools. ;)

> Are you planning on publishing these scripts?
>

Sure, you can actually pick up the current development straight from
git://linuxfood.net/pub/git/kosek.git

Brian