Subject: diffstat wierdness with 'git format-patch' output

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:54:25 -0800

I was trying to use the built-in git tools to send patches off, instead
of my horribly hacked up scripts that use the git low-level stuff, when
I noticed that git format-patch's output confuses diffstat a bit, and
causes it to add another line to it's count.

This isn't good when I do a 'diffstat -p1 *.txt' of the output and add
it to an email to send off for someone to pull from, as the result will
be off from what is really there.

Here's what I get:

 $ git format-patch -n origin..HEAD
 0001-USB-fix-up-the-usb-early-handoff-logic-for-EHCI.txt
 0002-USB-add-new-device-ids-to-ldusb.txt
 0003-USB-change-ldusb-s-experimental-state.txt
 0004-USB-PL2303-Leadtek-9531-GPS-Mouse.txt
 0005-USB-sl811_cs-needs-platform_device-conversion-too.txt
 0006-usb-storage-new-unusual_devs-entry.txt
 0007-usb-storage-unusual_devs-entry.txt
 0008-USB-unusual_devs.h-entry-TrekStor-i.Beat.txt
 0009-USB-unusual_devs.h-entry-iAUDIO-M5.txt
 0010-USB-unusual-devs-bugfix.txt

 $ git log | head -n 1
 commit 16f05be7be0bf121491d83bd97337fe179b3b323

 $ git show 16f05be7be0bf121491d83bd97337fe179b3b323 | diffstat -p1
  drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h |   25 ++++++++++++++++++-------
  1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

 $ diffstat -p1 0010-USB-unusual-devs-bugfix.txt
  drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h |   26 ++++++++++++++++++--------
  1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

Any thoughts?

thanks,

greg k-h