Subject: Re: [PATCH] fmt-merge-msg: avoid open "-|" list form for Perl 5.6

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:38:08 -0500

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Maybe I am stating the obvious, but it seems that
> 
> 	open (F, "git-blabla -option |");
> 
> would be more portable.

Yes but that gets broken up and processed according to your shell.
Which could be ugly if you try to include shell meta-characters.
On the other hand if the entire string passed to open is a constant
in the script then there's really no danger and it would be more
portable.
 
> P.S.: Eric, we rely on fork() anyway. Most of git's programs just don't 
> work without a fork().

Which is why GIT requires Cygwin on Windows.  So why not use
the Cygwin perl when using GIT?  I think that uses Cygwin's fork
emulation to implement fork, rather than the ActiveState emulation
of fork.

Of course fork on Cygwin is painfully slow.  :-|

-- 
Shawn.