Subject: NT directory traversal speed on 25K files on Cygwin

From: Rutger Nijlunsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:17:01 +0100

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:55:52PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:07:07PM +0100, Alex Riesen wrote:
> >filesystem is slow and locked down, and exec-attribute is NOT really
> >useful even on NTFS (it is somehow related to execute permission and
> >open files.  I still cannot figure out how exactly are they related).
> 
> Again, it's not clear if you're talking about Windows or Cygwin but
> under Cygwin, in the default configuration, the exec attribute means the
> same thing to cygwin as it does to linux.

I don't know about native Windows speed, but comparing NutCracker with
Cygwin on a simple 'find . | wc -l' already gives a clue that looking
at Cygwin to benchmark NT file inspection IO will give a skewed
picture:

##### NutCracker
$ time find . | wc -l

real    0m 1.44s
user    0m 0.45s
sys     0m 0.98s
  25794

##### Cygwin
$ time c:\\cygwin\\bin\\find . | wc -l

real    0m 6.72s
user    0m 1.09s
sys     0m 5.59s
  25794

##### CMD.EXE + DIR /S
C:\PROJECT> c:\cygwin\bin\time cmd /c dir /s >NUL
0.01user 0.01system 0:05.70elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 6320maxresident)k
0inputs+0outputs (395major+0minor)pagefaults 0swaps

##### Cygwin 'find -ls' (NutCracker doesn't have a '-ls')
C:\PROJECT> c:\cygwin\bin\time c:\cygwin\bin\find -ls | wc -l
2.79user 7.81system 0:10.60elapsed 100%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 14480maxresident)k
  25794

Regards,
Rutger.

-- 
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------------- eludias ed dse.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence
----------------------------------------------------------------------