Subject: Re: the war on trailing whitespace

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:37:02 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> tell the higher echelon folks
>  to do:
> 
>  	$ git repo-config apply.whitespace error
> 
>  in their repositories

That might be reasonable, some might object to tiny amounts of extra work..

In my setup, trailing whitespace purely causes warnings.  But with a
quilt-style thing, it's trivial to unapply the patch, strip it, reapply.

git is different - I'd imagine that if warnings were generated while an
mbox was being applied, it's too much hassle to go and unapply the mbox,
fix the diffs up and then apply the mbox again.

I'd suggest that git have options to a) generate trailing-whitespace
warnings, b) generate trailing-whitespace errors and c) strip trailing
whitespace while applying.   And that the as-shipped default be a).