Subject: Re: windows problems summary

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:51:46 -0500

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Are we *really* contemplating porting git to native Windows?
> >
> 
> Actually, I wasn't thinking about that when I was writing that mail,
> but ... why not?
> Cygwin makes syscalls many times slower, git is very slow on
> windows, users (well, I) want it faster, so if the needed api subset
> can be narrowed down to a reasonable amount of work - I think
> I'd give the idea a try.

I'd certainly appreciate faster response times from GIT on Windows.
Hell, I'd port GIT myself and cross my fingers that Junio, et. al.
would be open to accepting the changes into the tree.

But right now I don't really have a Windows development environment
available to me that I can hack on releasable changes from (damn
lawyers and those agreements about things on work computers being
owned by work).  If I get time I'll try rebuilding a system at
home that is currently offline due to failed disk as a Windows
development environment.

-- 
Shawn.