Subject: Re: git-unpack-objects < pack file in repository doesn't work!

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:02:55 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I totally didn't expect that behavior.  But I should have.  It makes
> > perfect sense.
> 
> Good to hear that you two did not lose any data.  I think the
> command should be documented as "not for interactive use without
> understanding what it does" ;-).
> 
> What was the reason you wanted to use it?  I think we should
> have a wrapper command to do what you wanted to achieve, so that
> people do not have to run unpack-objects by hand.

Don't bother.

I wanted to explode a pack because I'm starting work on an Eclipse
plugin for GIT.  I thought I'd try going down the road of letting
the plugin read the repository directly, and write loose objects
directly, but leave pack construction to the native C code.  So I
tried to clone my local GIT repository to a new directory (thus
had no loose objects at all) and unpack it to get loose objects.
That didn't go so well.  :-)

So now I'm currently just playing around with a tiny repository I
created for testing (something like 50 objects total).  Since I have
never packed it everything is loose, and that's working out OK...

I've already got loose object reading working, but thanks to
the trivially simple repository format in GIT (thanks Linus,
et.al.!) that amounted to a trivial Java implementation so its
nothing to really brag about yet.  :-)

-- 
Shawn.