Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] http-push updates

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:28:15 -0800

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 09:21:45PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Repository maintenance tasks:
> 
>  - create a new repository
>  - remove an unneeded branch and tag
>  - running repack

In a DAV-only server environment, it seems like there are a few
options for supporting these tasks:

- extend http-push with additional args and/or local config settings.
  This approach would be more efficient wrt packs than separate
  push and repack steps since packs will all need to be created locally
  and then sent; a combined repack/push operation would mean that new
  objects will only be sent once as part of a pack.

- add DAV versions of git-init-db/git-branch/git-repack

- extend git-init-db/git-branch/git-repack to be DAV-aware

I like option #1.

>  - create new branch (and new tag) -- I think you can already do this

Right - you can create locally and then push that branch/tag or
--all/--tags.

>  - (perhaps) running update-server-info

http-push already updates info/refs if it existed before the push 
(perhaps that behavior should also be based on a local config setting.)
I would plan to add support for updating objects/info/packs along with
pack/repack support.  That should be all the server-info there is to
update, right?

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.