Subject: Re: Errors GITtifying GCC and Binutils

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:44:10 +0000

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 03:39:00PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> it's "PatchSet 104" (well, for me it is, I have a hacked cvsps, so it 
> might not be that for you), which creates the "gdb-4_18-branch", but it 
> appears that cvsps hasn't actually figured out any "Ancestor branch" for 
> that commit.
> 
> What a crock.
> 
> Anyway, it's clearly a cvsps bug (mentioning a new branch without the 
> _source_ of that branch). Equally clearly, "git cvsimport" is being an ass 
> about then failing so totally on it.
> 
> I'll try to take a look at why cvsps does that.

Last I converted CVS trees to git found that about half of the branches
were branching off from the wrong commit of the parent branch.  At that
time I decieded to just move the branch using a quick script instead of
diving into cvsps.

  Ralf