Subject: Bug encountered while comitting

From: Matthias Kestenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:39:51 +0100

Hello list,

I don't know if this is the right place to report a bug, but I'll
just try and see what comes back.

I am trying to build a Wiki [1] using PHP, a hacked version of Markdown,
and git for content tracking. I use the git core plumbing to do the
history work.

The PHP script created directories under .git/objects which were
only writable by www-data. There were other directories which were
owned by user mk and group www-data, and they were group writable.

So, I had write access to only a part of the .git directory.

When I tried to commit, I got a message saying "Unable to write sha1
filename".

The result was, that only part of the commit was recorded and that I
experienced repository corruption. refs/heads/master pointed to a
non-existant object.

The expected behavior would have been an error message telling me I
had insufficient write privileges and surely no repository
corruption.

Thanks,
Matthias

[1]: http://spinlock.ch/cgi-bin/gitweb.pl?p=swisdk2/bugs.git;a=tree
(See Wiki_ctrl.php for source)

-- 
:wq