Subject: Re: HTTP repo referencing stale heads (can't clone)

From: Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:09:30 -0700

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:23:22AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> My standard answer would be
> 
> http-server$ cd /var/www/git/zd1211.git/ ;# or whereever
> http-server$ GIT_DIR=. git-update-server-info

Is there any interest in making the HTTP transport slighly less dumb by
using DAV?

I have a working patch to http-fetch that tries to use PROPFIND to get a
remote pack list and falls back to using objects/info/packs.  It's
feasible to do something similar to get a remote ref list when cloning,
although that's a bit more work as all refs would have to be fetched
into a local repo and parsed to determine the object type.

Long term, this could give a repo admin the choice of either making sure
git-update-server-info has been run after every ref/pack change or
enabling DAV once.  Assuming they need to use HTTP.

-- 
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.