Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-svnconvert: YASI (Yet Another SVN importer)

From: Rutger Nijlunsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 23:15:05 +0200

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 06:43:53PM +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Rutger Nijlunsing wrote:
> 
> > Since I didn't succeed in importing a (private) SVN repo into git, I
> > wrote a new converter to handle more cases like:
> 
> Both git-svn[*1*] and git-svnimport failed? Have you tried Tailor tool:
>   http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

git-svn and tailor can only track one branch (or trunk). As the
git-svn page states, it is for contributing to such a branch /
trunk. git-svnconvert is for converting a whole repository
incrementally of which branches (IMHO) are important to keep and
convert.

git-svnimport does handle multiple branches, but could not cope with
proxy + repo authentification, the weird repo layout I've had to cope
with (branches not only in /branches, several trunks) and some
revisions which contain non-sensical actions.

> >   - use command line svn instead of some perl library to have less
> >     dependancies and to support proxy + repo authentification.
> >     Might even work on MacOSX ;)
> 
> Instead adding dependence on Ruby, eh?

Take some, lose some ;)

Seriously, though, a dependancy on a mainstream language like
Python/Perl/Ruby/.. isn't a problem since a package is available for
all distributions. However, packages for mainstream languages are
quite often out-of-date or are not supported at all. Seeing a program
being dependant on a non-packaged module is enough for a truckload of
people to not even try it.

-- 
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------------- eludias ed dse.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence
----------------------------------------------------------------------