Subject: 1.3.0 creating bigger packs than 1.2.3

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:36:40 -0400

Apparently I have created a repository which v1.2.3 packs about 50%
smaller than 'next' does:

  v1.2.3 (tag):
   60M pack-7f766f5af5547554bacb28c0294bd562589dc5e7.pack

  1.2.3.gf3a4 (an older 'next'):
  128M pack-7f766f5af5547554bacb28c0294bd562589dc5e7.pack

  1.3.0.rc4.g8060 (a fairly recent 'next'):
  118M pack-7f766f5af5547554bacb28c0294bd562589dc5e7.pack

Repeated packing with 1.3.0.rc4.g8060 doesn't seem to change the
size of the pack file, its pretty consistent at 118M.

Given that disk is pretty cheap these days I'm not concerned about
the 2x increase but thought I'd let folks know that the packing
improvements in 1.3.0 seem to have taken a small step backwards
with regards to this particular dataset.

I can make the repository available if somebody wants to look at it.

-- 
Shawn.