Subject: Re: RFC: New diff-delta.c implementation

From: Rutger Nijlunsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:21:33 +0200

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:57:38AM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Geert Bosch wrote:
> > 
> > The comparison is a bit between a O(n^2) sort that is fast on small
> > or mostly sorted inputs (but horrible on large ones) and a more
> > complex O(nlogn) algorithm that is a bit slower for the simple
> > cases, but far faster for more complex cases.
> 
> Indeed.  And since the primary goal for GIT is to manage relatively 
> small files with relatively few differences then we have to optimize for 
> that case while trying to simply limit the dammage in the other cases.

Like others (the large-Maildir-storage thread comes to mind), I am
looking into storing more diverse data (say, $HOME) into git repo's
and I would mind the O(n log n) instead of O(n^2) where the constant
factor of the first is larger than the constant factor of the second.

...but then again, I'm just a user ;)

-- 
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------------- eludias ed dse.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence
----------------------------------------------------------------------