Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-fetch: resolve remote symrefs for HTTP transport

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:09:46 -0400

Nick Hengeveld <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Maybe this isn't the right way to handle this - since we're already
> calling perl we could use LWP to do the transfers (using keepalive
> even?)

LWP, no.  My Mac OS X perl installation appears to have LWP installed
by dumb luck but my Gentoo Linux perl doesn't have LWP anywhere
in @INC.  :-) Yet both systems run GIT happily.

The HTTP support in GIT is already linked against libcurl and libcurl
is required to use said HTTP support.  I would think that libcurl
is capable of using Keep-Alive when possible, and libcurl and C
are certainly available anywhere GIT's HTTP support is currently
being used.  Ideally any HTTP feature should either be using the
curl command line tool, or better, be written in C against the
libcurl library.  But not LWP.  Its not always available even though
a valid perl is.

-- 
Shawn.