Subject: Re: [PATCH] Transitively read alternatives

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 00:53:35 +0200

hoi :)

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:56:36PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> If you have a local copy of Linus, Jeff and David trees, you
> could arrange Jeff tree to borrow from Linus and David, and
> David tree to borrow from Linus and Jeff.  I wonder what the new
> code does when you add a new repository that borrows from Jeff
> and David.  Does it borrow from Linus twice?  Four times?  Does
> it stop without falling into endless recursion?  I did not do
> this myself because I was lazy and did not want to address these
> issues.

I haven't tested these corner cases extensively yet, but from reading
the code it should behave like this:

If you have loops or multiple references to the same repository then
only the first occurance is used.  When reading a reference to an alternate
object store for the second time it is simply ignored.

But of course you should be careful when you set up alternate files.
Having two repositories reference each other and then simultanously
running git-prune in both is obviously not a good idea ;-).

... more testing ...

Well of course practice and reality always differ... I'll send an
updated patch shortly ;-)

-- 
Martin Waitz