Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git wiki

From: Dave Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:04:09 -0400

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:48:38AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

 > (and yes, I'm somewhat biased: in my opinion, having a 
 > million monkeys throwing crap at the walls and encoding the information in 
 > the patterns on monkey shit is a better format than CVS), so it would 
 > actually have improved BK, while also making it possible to interoperate 
 > if you didn't want to use BK itself.
 >  ...
 > So that was really my "fallback" position: if nothing out there worked, 
 > I'd rather go back to lists of patches than use CVS. 

I've encountered managing kernel trees in CVS both during my tenure at SuSE,
and to a more involved extent as Fedora/RHEL maintainer, and I'd just like
to echo how much it _completely sucks_ at times.

Rebasing to a newer release is a *nightmare* that usually takes
up most of an afternoon compared to rebasing my git based projects.

In the event I can't persuade the powers at be to switch to git at some point
for managing our packages, I'll be sure to bring up your suggestion of
a million monkeys. I believe you can pick them up fairly cheap these days.

		Dave

-- 
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk