Subject: common URL for repository and gitweb

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 01:00:46 +0200

hoi :)

I hacked a little bit in gitweb so that it can get the project path
form the URI without using a ?p= parameter.  That is, you can now
use "http://.../cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/path/to/project/" to show
the summary of your project.

Together with a apache configuration like below, you can give your
gitweb pages the same URL as your repositories:

	<VirtualHost www:80>
		ServerName git.hostname.org
		DocumentRoot /pub/git
		RewriteEngine on
		RewriteRule ^/(.*\.git/(.*\.html)?)?$ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi%{REQUEST_URI}  [L]
	</VirtualHost>

This will rewrite all URLs that go to gitweb to use the CGI, while
leaving URLs for the repository intact.

You can see an example at http://git.admingilde.org/.
The gitweb version used for that is available here, too.

As an added bonus, gitweb can now serve the "html" branch of a
repository directly using "text/html", so you can show your
documentation without needing to update a checked out version
of this branch.
For example have a look at the GIT manpages at
http://git.admingilde.org/tali/git.git/git.html

-- 
Martin Waitz