Subject: Re: dangling commits.

From: Dave Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:49:11 -0400

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 04:19:06PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

 > > What's wrong here?
 > 
 > Nothing, except
 > 
 >  - you used rsync to fetch the thing (so you get all objects, regardless 
 >    of whether they are reachable or not)

Ah. I actually noticed this when I poked around the box that does
the nightly snapshots, and wondered for a few minutes why I never
switched it over to git:// last time I poked at that script.
Then it came back to me: rsync -q worked better than redirecting
git to /dev/null
- git-clone's -q was still outputting some stuff, so recloning each
  time the cronjob ran wasn't an option,
- subsequent git pull's were noisy too

When run from a cronjob, unless something fatal happens, I basically
never want to get mail from the snapshotting script.

 >  - junio re-bases his "pu" branch, and I just end up following him (I 
 >    should stop exporting git entirely, here's no point, really).

I just updated the snapshot script to pull from 
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/ instead.

thanks,

		Dave

-- 
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk