Subject: Re: [PATCH] Automatically line wrap long commit messages.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 05:14:23 -0400

Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-29 04:57:39 -0400, Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > When using -m on the command line with git-commit it is not uncommon
> > for a long commit message to be entered without line terminators.
> > This creates commit objects whose messages are not readable in
> > 'git log' as the line runs off the screen.
> 
> Uh? Just put it in quotes and press the Enter key when applicable.

I realize that.  But I feel that it looks rather ugly on the command
line, in the resulting message, and is difficult to do well all of
the time.

For one thing the first line is offset due to the stuff preeceding
it on the command line, even if you put the -m" on the next line.
For another it goes nicely with my prior patch of allowing multiple
-m flags on the command line and merging them into a single commit
message by treating each option argument as its own paragraph.

Maybe its just me but I've generally found `fmt` does a nice job
of line wrapping my text.  I'm writing this email out in vi with
no thought to line wrapping and will let `fmt` clean it all up for
me before I sent it.  I do the same thing with all of my commit
messages; except git-commit won't let me do it from the command line.

This patch was trying to do that...  but I suspected some folks
would not like the idea very much.  :-)

-- 
Shawn.