Subject: Re: Gitk feature - show nearby tags

From: Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:19:01 +0200

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote Sat, Jun 03, 2006:
> Jonas Fonseca wrote:
> 
> > I already took your hint from the other day on irc and have begun on
> > implementing this revision graph visualization for tig. :)
> > 
> > The problem is of course to come up with some ascii-art which is both
> > readable and dense. Below is my mockup of something not using line
> > graphics,[...]
> 
> As I can see you use 'vertical' layout. Do I understand correctly that '*'
> refers to commit on marked (by column) branch, and '|' means pass-thru?

Yes, and 'M' marks merges. Putting information in the "commit node"
should make certain things more obvious. You could encode information
such as whether a commit is a "unique head" (nothing other revisions
references this commit). For example the first commit will always be
unique, but when using --all other heads might show up "unique".

	+ [master] ...
	* ...
	| + [unmerged/topic] ...
	| * ...
	*' ...

> BTW. you might want to take a look at http://revctrl.org/ diagrams;
> AFAICT all the git documentation uses 'horizontal' layout, which is good
> for example but perhaps not for long-lived development...

Looking at the examples on http://revctrl.org/StaircaseMerge: it might
be more readable but not as dense as I would like, namely one commit pr
line.

-- 
Jonas Fonseca