Subject: Re: Gitk feature - show nearby tags

From: Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:19:02 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote Sun, Jun 04, 2006:
> Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>     - I want to see the neighbouring commits, but UP or DOWN
> >>       does not do what I naïvely expect.  It scrolls the lower
> >>       pane.  I say TAB to go up.
> >
> > I wonder what tig version you are using. If you are using the tig
> > version from my git repo this should also be working to your
> > expectation, making ...
> 
> Whichever was the latest when I wrote the message.  I see you
> have added a handful commits on it since then.

Yes, I added your Makefile patch. Thanks for that one.

> >>     - Press UP or DOWN and I can move the highlight to
> >>       neighbouring commits.  This is wonderful, but the lower
> >>       pane does not follow this -- it keeps showing the original
> >>       commit, and I have to say ENTER again.
> >
> > .. this unnecessary.
> 
> Maybe I am misusing it then.

I admit the basic user controls might still have some rough spots.
Here is my take on what you are trying to do:

 - When you open tig, UP/DOWN will move the cursor line.

 - When you press ENTER on the commit you would like to see, it will
   open the split view and move focus to the diff view.  So if you press
   Enter again it will start scrolling the diff view. This is much like
   the way Mutt works.

 - If you press UP/DOWN (while the diff view is focused) you will move
   to previous or next commit in the main view (the one-line log view)
   and load it in the diff view. That is, there is no reason to switch
   to the main view unless you want to navigate to a commit without
   repeatedly reloading the diff view which is clearly not what you are
   requesting.

Is this not what you requested? That you can "see neighbouring commit"
by pressing UP and DOWN? But without having to press ENTER again.

Now, I've experienced some problems with ncurses and key detection but
only for Insert/Delete and Home/End. If UP/DOWN scrolls the diff view
something is terrible wrong.

> I like viewing the list in the upper and diff/log in the lower
> at the same time, and that is the primary reason I liked tig, so
> moving around in the commit list view and not seeing the
> diff/log updated in sync was major dissapointment at least for
> me.

Ok, well I can just make it optional, if you want the split view always
to be in sync, even while moving when the main view is in focus.

-- 
Jonas Fonseca