Subject: Re: [PATCH] Some doc typo fixes

From: Francis Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:46:14 +0100

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:07:02AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Francis Daly <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Thanks.  I am not a native, and this is very much appreciated.

You're welcome.

> >>  . It could be named hierarchically (i.e. separated with slash
> >> -  `/`), but each of its component cannot begin with a dot `.`;
> >> +  `/`), but each of its components cannot begin with a dot `.`;
> >
> > I am not sure; ...
> 
> Sheesh, I was reading the diff backwards.  Sorry.

No worries.  I had a head-scratching moment, and suspect that the whole
stanza could be better phrased.  If only there was someone who didn't
already know what it means, they could suggest which phrasing makes
it clear...

How about rewriting it as

It can include slash `/` for hierarchical (directory) grouping, but no
slash-separated component can begin with a dot `.`;

?

"can" instead of "could" fits the later parts, and it removes the
possessive and reverses the negative for something that (to my mind)
scans better.

Cheers,

	f
-- 
Francis Daly        [email-masked]