Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: set USE_PIC on Linux x86_64 for linking with Git.pm

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 02:29:12 +0200

Pavel Roskin write:
> I don't have the newsgroup access, so I'm copying to the mailing list
> instead.

Newsgroup should be tied to mailing list, so messages on newsgroup 
would appear on mailing list and vice versa. Patches were sent to 
mailing list.

>> I'm trying to do inobtrusive _optional_ autoconf support in the patch series
>> beginning with
>>   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/22832
> 
> The problem with optional support is that you suddenly have two
> alternative mechanisms to adjust the build to the system, and both
> should be kept in a  working condition.  But it's a good first step.

The idea I started working with autoconf was to be able to say
%configure in .spec file. Then I thought that it would be nice
to have --without-expat, --with-curl=PATH etc. options. Then...

Additionally, optional support would be easier to accept I think.

[repeated]
>>   Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/22832
> 
> The link doesn't show the "@" characters correctly.  Maybe somebody
> could establish a git repository?  Ideally, the autoconf changes should
> go to one of the Git branches.

Try yet another git mailing list archive:
  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0606/23225.html

I'll try to publish changes at
  http://front.fuw.edu.pl/jnareb/scm/git.git/
  http://front.fuw.edu.pl/cgi-bin/jnareb/gitweb.cgi?p=git.git
after I learn how to setup ssh proxy or equivalent...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland