Subject: Re: [PATCH] Remove more gcc extension usage.

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 01:22:55 -0400

> On Sat, 2006-07-08 15:03:27 -0400, Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Monday I'll look to see if there's an option that can be given to
> > the Solaris compiler to make it accept these constructs.  Maybe a
> > simple CFLAGS change in my config.mak would resolve what this patch
> > was trying to do.

So Monday turned out to be today.  The compiler version:

  $ cc -V                                                        
  cc: Forte Developer 7 C 5.4 2002/03/09
  usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

and from `man cc`:

  -xc99  enables C99 features:

          The following is a list of the implemented features of
          the ISO/IEC 9899:1999, Programming Language - C stan-
          dard. See the C User's Guide for a detailed explanation
          of the compiler's support for these featuers:

          o  Idempotent Qualifiers
          o  _Pragma
          o  Mixed Declarations and Code
          o  static and Other Type Qualifiers Allowed in Array
             Declarators
          o  Flexible Array Members
          o  Declarations Using Implicit int
          o  Disallowed Implicit int and Implicit Function
             Declarations
          o  Declaration in for-Loop Statement
          o  C99 Keywords
          o  __func__ Support
          o  Macros With A Variable Number of Arguments
          o  Variable Length Arrays
          o  inline Specifier For Static Functions
          o  Commenting Code with //

So neither of the constructs my patch removes are supported in this
(old) compiler, although a newer one might accept them with -xc99.
Yes, I tried building a pristine git-1.4.1 with -xc99.  It barfed,
as one would expect given the description above.

Since we don't have a newer version of cc available (not sure why)
I'm stuck with needing to make the code changes in my patch just
to get GIT to compile.

-- 
Shawn.