Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: fill in gitweb configuration by Makefile

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:22:00 +0200

hoi :)

thanks for the feedback!

> I don't like it.  While this method works, it is too much effort
> to have to run make to do this, plus it pollutes your tree.

Do you really think it is that much effort?
What do others think? alternatives?

> Instead, what you can do is make gitweb.cgi read a text file
> from . which has those variables defined.

I don't really care if it is a configuration file or a build-time
configuration, but I need something now.
If you submit your proposal, we can compare both and choose the best
one ;-).

> This way, I can just copy gitweb.cgi into my web-server directory
> and voila it works, since the variable definition file would
> always be there.  This way:
>   - no need to run make to build "gitweb.cgi" or "gitweb.pl" whatever
>     you call it,

ok, but you have to call make anyway to build the rest of GIT,
so this shouldn't be a big problem.

>   - no need to pollute your tree with site defined variables,

this is achieved by my patch, too.

>   - simple copy (cp) would install a working version, instead of
>     the current cp + patch with local settings method.

this is achieved by my patch, too.

-- 
Martin Waitz