Subject: gitweb testing with non-apache web server

From: Marc Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 00:54:03 -0700

I would like to use gitweb with the Cherokee web server because the
host that I have on hand has very limited RAM, 32MiB.  Neither the
version of gitweb available on Debian (v264) nor the latest in the git
repo works.

I did some debugging on the latest repo version.  The lines

  our $project = ($cgi->param('p') || $ENV{'PATH_INFO'});
  if (defined $project) {
     ...

are being executed even though the url is

  http://server/git

I think that the problem is that Cherokee translates the request URL
into

  http://server/git/

which means that the $ENV{'PATH_INFO'} is the string "/" insted of
being undefined.

The error I'm seeing is that the request path is forbidden, but I
suspect that this is some sort of misunderstanding between the web
server and the script.

So, I wonder if someone who has a working gitweb would be willing to
test with Cherokee or some other resource conservative web server.

Cheers.