Subject: Re: gitweb testing with non-apache web server

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 22:14:34 +0200

hoi :)

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:41:20PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 	http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=gitk/gitk.git;a=summary
> 
> (that's two insertions of 'k').
> 
> Now with PATH_INFO, how exactly is this easier?

well, editing is not easier, but you can do other nice things.

On git.admingilde.org I have set up apache to serve the contents
of my git repositories for all the well-known git repository
URLs (*.git/objects/*, *.git/refs/*, ...) and to call gitweb for
all other URLs.
That way I get the exact same URLs for both gitweb and http:// clone
(and even for git://, just change the protocol name).

I really think that it is very handy that you can give out a
repository URL and any user can just click on it and get the
summary page of this project.

I'm sure that it is possible to transfer the PATH_INFO into a p=
parameter through URL rewrite rules, but it is much easier
to set up if gitweb can directly grok appended paths.

I even changed the old gitweb to hand out links which used PATH_INFO
rather than the p= parameter so that the URLs looked nicer.
If there is interest in such a feature then I can do these changes
again.

-- 
Martin Waitz