Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-status: colorize status output

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 01:16:21 -0700

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:21:35PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:14:19PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> 
> > The idea is that red things indicate a potential mistake on the part of the
> > user (e.g., forgetting to update a file, forgetting to git-add a file).
> 
> I actually wanted to do this because I started syntax-highlighting the
> git-commit message in vim. I found myself catching simple mistakes in
> commits, like the ones I mentioned above, before committing, saving me
> from doing an --amend. Then I got so hooked on it I wanted the
> colorization everytime I ran git-status.
> 
> If anyone is interested in the vim syntax highlighting, it is below.
> Copy the file to $HOME/.vim/syntax/gitcommit.vim and add the following
> line to your .vimrc:
>   autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead COMMIT_EDITMSG set filetype=gitcommit

Ah, very nice, thanks for this, makes commits much easier to read now.

greg k-h