Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-status: colorize status output

From: Matthias Lederhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 12:59:53 +0200

Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The git-status output can sometimes be very verbose, making it difficult to
> quickly see whether your files are updated in the index. This adds 4 levels
> of colorizing to the status output:
>   - general header (defaults to normal white)
>   - updated but not committed (defaults to green)
>   - changed but not updated (defaults to red)
>   - untracked files (defaults to red)
> The idea is that red things indicate a potential mistake on the part of the
> user (e.g., forgetting to update a file, forgetting to git-add a file).
Perhaps the default values should not use the same color twice? I'd
suggest yellow for changed but not updated.  But well, it's no problem
to change this in my config, I just find it a bit confusing to have
the same color for different things.

> Color support is controlled by status.color and status.color.*. There is no
> command line option, and the status.color variable is a simple boolean (no
> checking for tty output).
Is there any way to do isatty() from shell scripts?