Subject: Re: Mozilla import and large history

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:40:02 -0400

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> People with long history stored in some SCM tend to want to
> migrate their history and then switch, and I expect that to be
> the norm, especially with the progress Mozilla import team is
> making with the CVS interface.

Not to hijack a thread or anything but we are definately making
some progress here.  Jon Smirl is able to import blob revisions,
create trees, commits and tags.  Import for Mozilla is down from
approx. a week to around 4 hours but right now we are finding that
the import isn't always correct.

Fortunately we've built a script to compare the result of the import
into GIT with the result of the import into SVN, as the cvs2svn
import is believed to be correct.  The script is not however very
fast, as it compares an SVN revision to the corresponding GIT tree
by checking out the SVN revision to a working directory, loading
the GIT tree into an index and using git-diff-files to compare them.

That simple script has caught a number of errors but has also
confirmed a number of cases as working correctly.  We're slowly
working through the errors.

We may also do a CVS checkout based script to verify branch heads
and labels all match, just as an extra check against what the native
SVN import had given.

-- 
Shawn.