Subject: Re: git and time

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:27:48 -0400

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:18:15PM -0700, Matthew L Foster wrote:
> --- Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  
> >  - it means that the -same- exact project, when looked at frm two 
> >    different sites that mirror it, have totally different times. In other 
> >    words, the times have become pointless for something like gitweb.
> 
> Mirrored git repos probably should use the same timestamp, e.g. the
> "master" or "private" git server's local time. Replicated repos have
> a delay compared to when you made changes in your private repo, that
> is ok, replication is not what makes commit order inconsistent with
> time, it's the act of pulling/merging from a server with
> misconfigured time and gitweb.cgi trusting "creation time", right?
> Or is replication the same thing as merging/pulling?

Git mirroring takes place using the same pushing and pulling that are
used with multiple repositories.  That's why if Linus does a huge
amount of work over the period of a day or two in his private
repository, and then publishes it master.kernel.org, the "local" time
on master.kernel.org will be the time when they are pushed to
master.kernel.org, because it's done via the same operation as any
other repository push or pull.

That's what everyone has been trying to tell you for this entire
thread....

						- Ted