Subject: Re: Notes on Using Git with Subprojects

From: Martin Waitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:04:35 +0200

hoi :)

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 01:30:39PM -0700, A Large Angry SCM wrote:
> If the submodule refs in the parent are the actual submodule refs then 
> the submodule is not independent of the parent.

ok, it's not independent in that sense that you can move the directory
away and expect the submodule to work even when the parent does not
exist any more.

But you can do normal GIT work as before.
You can create new branches (they will be stored in the parent
but you have to "git add .gitmodule/..." explicitly in order
to track the branch in the parent), fetch/pull from other sides,
create commits, etc.
So in your normal workflow you do not have to do anything in the
parent while you work in the submodule.  That's what I've called
"independent".

I hope the intention is clear now, perhaps I've been sloppy
with words.

-- 
Martin Waitz