Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: "Matthew D. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:17:36 -0500

[ trim back CC a bit ]

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:37:31PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Petr Baudis, and lo! it spake thus:
> 
> [...] you probably primarily show revnos everywhere and UUIDs only
> in few special places and/or when asked specifically through a
> command (correct me if I'm wrong).

The primary place you'd see either is in 'log'.  To show the UUID,
you'd add a "--show-ids" arg to it (and via per-user config aliasing,
you could just alias 'log' to 'log --show-ids' if you always wanted to
see them, so you wouldn't have to type it.  The output looks something
like:

revno: 1
revision-id: [email-masked]
committer: Matthew Fuller <[email-masked]>
branch nick: a
timestamp: Thu 2006-10-19 10:14:37 -0500
message:
  Foo

(without --show-ids, it's the same, except not showing the
revision-id: line)

> Also, do you support "UUID autocompletion" so that you can type just
> the unique UUID prefix instead of the whole thing?

With the form of bzr UUID's, that's not particularly useful, since
you're probably into the minutes/seconds of the timestamp before it
becomes unique, at which points you're close to 2/3 of the way through
the whole string.

-- 
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [email-masked]
Systems/Network Administrator |  http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/
           On the Internet, nobody can hear you scream.