Subject: Re: VCS comparison table

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:12:13 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:17:26PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> said that...

>> But you can also clone _whole_ repository, _all_ published branches with
>> 
>>    $ cg clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git
> 
> Nope, cg clone will in this case clone the master branch (or whatever
> the remote HEAD points at). cg clone -a is planned but not implemented
> yet. Very soon now, hopefully. :-)

That's probably because Cogito still uses obsolete branches/

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git

clones _whole_ repository, all the branches and tags, and saves information
about the branches it cloned, and URL to repository in remotes/ file.
 
>> In GIT to work on some repository you don't (like from what I understand
>> in Bazaar-NG) "checkout" some branch (which would automatically copy some
>> data in case of "heavy checkout" or just save some pointer to repository
>> in "lightweight checkout" case). You clone whole repository; well you can
>> select which branches to clone. "Checkout" in GIT terminology means to
>> populate working area with given version (and change in repository which
>> branch is current, usually).
> 
> You don't need to, you can switch your working tree between various
> branches.  I think Linus said he does that (or was it Junio?), and I do that
> as well, as well as many others.

I should have said: bring working area to state given by some revision
(instead of "populate working area").

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland