Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

From: Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:21:25 -0400

Aaron Bentley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > Gaaah, so rename detection in bzr is done using file-ids?
> > Linus will tell you the inherent problems with that "solution".
> 
> All solutions have disadvantages.  We prefer the disadvantages that come
> from using file-ids over the disadvantages that come from using
> content-based rename detection.

As good as the content based rename detection is I got burned
recently by it.

I renamed hundreds of small files in one shot and also did a few
hundered adds and deletes of other small XML files.  Git generated
a lot of those unrelated adds/deletes as rename/modifies, as their
content was very similiar.  Some people involved in the project
freaked as the files actually had nothing in common with one
another... except for a lot of XML elements (as they shared the
same DTD).